Thursday, June 15, 2023

The Babbling Abbie: Duck Boots, Dentures, & Pulp Fiction

It's been 6 months since my father's full mouth restoration (dental implants). It started with gorey details. I was reminded of the SAW 4 movie poster. (Side story: What was I thinking when I went to watch that movie at a movie theatre?! That's right! Nothing! Bats in my head! Public apology to my friend, (you know who you are) and my sister Sara who agreed to accompany) --- Anyhoo --- So my father got all his decaying dental bridges broken and teeth extracted (decent word for pulled out!). Both gums were stitched like Oogey Boogey's seams. 

And then episodes of 'pulp fiction' (pun intended) started me grinding foods through machines. He put up objectionable requests (ground nuts and seeds) and that was a debate at the dentist's. His surgeon's Psychology major worked!. His response to my father being a Mr. Google Smart Alec: "Sure you can eat anything. It will just break your temporary (denture)". 

There were weekly followups for 3 months and then fittings began for the dentures. My father put on the best suitings of his life, complete with silk ties and Italian designer footwear to attend these visits. I enjoy the priceless Where do we hang his fancy jacket? looks on the staff's faces. Rainy days were a threat to the footwear so I had to get him duck boots to avoid major financial losses which he persistently made me count. He locked himself in his room and backed out of whatever little family gatherings he attended. Too much male ego to eat soft foods before other humans. I had to sit through nauseating trials and fittings as dentures were unscrewed and screwed back on each time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment